Activity Based Working
What is it?
Activity Based Working (ABW) is a catalyst for organisations to rethink the way they work aligned to their cultural and strategic objectives. It provides freedom of choice in how, when, and where people work, helping them to be more effective and engaged. ABW recognises that people perform different activities and need a variety of work settings, the right technology, and a trusting and collaborative culture to be best supported.
ABW is about you…
Activity Based Working is about you and your colleagues. It is about organising your work in a more productive and enjoyable way. Creating the best circumstances for each activity, whether it is developing ideas, delivering content or sharing knowledge…
Continue your search by watching this video animation explaining ABW:
Elements of Activity Based Workplaces
There is no one-size-fits-all concept of ABW. Consider some of the elements that make Activity Based Working work and can help your organisation evolve.
- Work anytime, anywhere; time and place independent work.
- Empowerment; supported by trust results in responsibility.
- Open & flexible workspaces; including the right acoustics for each activity.
- Flexible working relations; supporting honest and genuine conversations.
- Unlimited (digital) access & connectivity; digital transformation and paper independence and reduction.
Benefits and advantages
- Employee well-being; a healthier and more sustainable workplace.
- Employee satisfaction; more effective, engaged and motivated people.
- Organisation flexibility; better collaboration, more efficient decision making.
- Work-life balance; improved work-life balance after implementation and transformation.
- Housing cost saving; a cost effective workplace.
Challenges of a New Workplace
When working in a new developed work environment, there might be some challenges for your colleagues, teams and management. So before moving to a new workplace we can discuss a number of topics that can help you in your journey and make the “office-move” as easy as possible.
- Where and how do I find my colleagues?
- What is the CEO doing next to me?
- Can I also work from home?
- Will I be able to work in a silent space?
- Will everybody have a hot-desk?
Curious to hear more about the challenges you will overcome, give us a call. We can help you find your own answers, before creating a great place to work.
How to start your ABW program
To develop and implement ABW we offer a range of services to our clients at various stages of your journey. From inspiration tours and analyses, to design briefs and behavioural workshops with employees and management, alongside guiding the implementation of their new way of working.
3 ideas that will kickstart your organisations future:
- A financial ROI analysis of your future workplace
- A utilisation and occupancy study
- Inspiration session by the founders of ABW
One more story:
- When workplace strategists VELDHOEN + COMPANY came to review their own practice, what happened? (Pdf)
Curious to visit an Activity Based Workplace? Give us a call or attend one of our ABW masterclasses.
Your New Way of Working can start today.