Activity Based Working
What is it?
Activity Based Working is about you and your colleagues. It is about organising your work in a more productive and enjoyable way. Creating the best circumstances for each activity, whether it is developing ideas, delivering content or sharing knowledge…
A video animation explaining Activity Based Working (ABW):
The ABW philosophy and principles by the founders
Activity Based Working is a catalyst for organisations to rethink the way they work aligned to their cultural and strategic objectives. It provides freedom of choice in how, when, and where people work, helping them to be more effective and engaged. ABW recognises that people perform different activities and need a variety of work settings, the right technology, and a trusting and collaborative culture to be best supported.
Elements of Activity Based Workplaces
There is no one-size-fits-all concept of ABW. Consider some of the elements that make Activity Based Working work and can help your organisation evolve.
- Work anytime, anywhere; time and place independent work.
- Empowerment; supported by trust results in responsibility.
- Open & flexible workspaces; including the right acoustics for each activity.
- Flexible working relations; supporting honest and genuine conversations.
- Unlimited (digital) access & connectivity; digital transformation and paper independence and reduction.
Benefits and advantages
- Employee well-being; a healthier and more sustainable workplace.
- Employee satisfaction; more effective, engaged and motivated people.
- Organisation flexibility; better collaboration, more efficient decision making.
- Work-life balance; improved work-life balance after implementation and transformation.
- Housing cost saving; a cost effective workplace.
What is your Question about ABW?
A combination of these advantages will create a positive impact on your customer satisfaction! To understand what other benefits can be created when implementing ABW, or how to implement it, explore more or ask us a question.
Challenges of Activity Based Working
Of course there will be some challenges when implementing (and working in) an Activity Based Workplace, the real and fun work starts when you move in.
- Where and how do I find my colleagues?
- What is the CEO doing next to me?
- Is Activity Based Working the same as working from home?
Curious to hear more about the challenges you will overcome, give us a call. We can help you find your own answers, before creating a great place to work.
Other videos and articles, that talk about ABW too or what it’s not:
- ABW and our analogy with the house
- 3 Misconceptions I wish everybody knew about ABW
- How will we work in the future?
Activity Based Working E-Book
Check out our ABW E-Book: “Collaboration, the key to the future”. Our E-Book will give you new insights about 15 organisations, their leaders and their new way of working after implementing ABW over the past 25 years.
How to start your ABW program
To develop and implement ABW we offer a range of services to our clients at various stages of your journey. From inspiration tours and analyses, to design briefs and behavioural workshops with employees and management, alongside guiding the implementation of their new way of working.
3 ideas that will kickstart your organisations future:
- A financial ROI analysis of your future workplace
- A utilisation and occupancy study
- Inspiration session by the founders of ABW
One more story:
- When workplace strategists VELDHOEN + COMPANY came to review their own practice, what happened? (Pdf)
Curious to visit an Activity Based Workplace? Give us a call or attend one of our ABW masterclasses.
Your New Way of Working can start today.